“Half memoir, half travel, A Yank Back to England...is an absolutely wonderful book, not only about going home again but also about love and family and tradition and the passage of the years.”
—Michael Dirda, Pulitzer Prize-winning literary critic (Washington
Post)
To see the entire quote, click here.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Searching for Beatrix Potter

Down a corridor, an elderly lady in a black cardigan sat alongside one of the bedrooms open to the public. She looked quite still and very official, but rather too old and frail to be a security guard. I assumed she was a guide of sorts, brimming with facts and fables and historical anecdotes.
“Excuse me,” I said. “Can you tell me something about the house? The connection with Beatrix Potter?”
“No.” She smiled vacantly, eyes unblinking, then went on proudly, “Don’t know the first thing about it.”
I thanked her, if not for her knowledge, at least for her honesty.

5 comments:

Maggie said...

Now the crazy writer in me would wonder if there really WAS a lady there or if you just ran into the ghost of Ms Potter who didn't want to take time to indulge! :)

Softball Whisperer said...

That is very funny! I love this kind of writing.
LOL
Thanks for the comment you left on my blog Gamesclass.blogspot.com keep writing!

Tess Kincaid said...

Unbelievable. Thanks for the giggles!

Michelloui said...

The lady was a actually disgruntled tour guide that had enough and thought 'I'll show you!' then sat down and answered no more questions. They couldn't fire her though, because she is very lovely usually and everyone in the village would be cross with them.

m said...

And, well, she fit right in anyway, right?