“Half memoir, half travel, A Yank Back to England...is an absolutely wonderful book, not only about going home again but also about love and family and tradition and the passage of the years.”
—Michael Dirda, Pulitzer Prize-winning literary critic (Washington
Post)
To see the entire quote, click here.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Fellow expat Michael York says...

I know Brits are not supposed to show emotion (stiff upper lip and all that) but you know me better than that by now! Plus, what can I say? Michael York thinks the characters in my book -- my family in other words -- are rather Dickensian! Well! Well, I'm not in the least offended, in fact I totally agree and I love it! Anyway, Michael finished reading A Yank Back to England: The Prodigal Tourist Returns, and here is what he said:

"A perceptive, engaging and informative take on contemporary England as seen through the eyes of a fellow expatriate who writes with humor and affection. The cast of characters has an almost Dickensian vivacity." Michael York

What a gentleman! I always knew I liked him. Now the ball is in your court--I hope you'll give the book a read and enjoy it too!

12 comments:

Softball Whisperer said...

I loved Michael York in Austin Powers!

weenie_elise said...

i loved michael york in Cabaret

Anonymous said...

Now, that's impressive. What a good way to start.

Mike said...

Congratulations on publication and on the reviews!

I hope you can sit back and watch the fruits of your labour rise in the best seller list.

Amy said...

Nice! I'm still totally excited and cannot wait to receive my copy, Let me know as soon as you have dates for New York book signing!

Carol Murdock said...

Denis...you must be on cloud 9 and what better comparision than Dickens could one want or get? :)

Helen said...

Hi Denis, is your book available in Australia?

The Prodigal Tourist said...

Thanks everyone! We are rather excited, must admit. When's Christmas again?
Carol--agreed! I think they're pretty Dickensian too!
Mike--love your thinking! Don't know about the 'sitting back' though...
Machinists' wife: sadly the book is not available in Australia, but we're going to work on that!

Anonymous said...

OMG--how fabulous is this? Michael YORK for heaven's sake. Next you will have Kenneth Branagh googling over the book -- wanting to cast himself as Dennis. I swear, the book is MEANT to be a movie. Mark my words!
Heather

Christopher said...

Congratulations, Denis! How cool is that! I shall look it up myself! Well done! Cheers! Chris

Maggie said...

Now how freakin cool is that??? I CANNOT wait to read it!!!!!

Commonweeder said...

what a coup! Michael York! Book sounds great.