“Half memoir, half travel, A Yank Back to England...is an absolutely wonderful book, not only about going home again but also about love and family and tradition and the passage of the years.”
—Michael Dirda, Pulitzer Prize-winning literary critic (Washington
Post)
To see the entire quote, click here.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bubble, bubble without trouble

Stuck with leftover St. Patrick's Day cabbage and spud? Here's my home version of another cornerstone of English cuisine: Bubble and Squeak. So easy, not a real recipe really. I cook up some bacon and fry up the chopped, leftover spuds and greens in the rendered fat. I let everything brown for a few minutes without touching, then stir up and brown the other sides. That's it! It all goes down very well with everyone, even Kate, though we keep her away from the Guiness...just kidding, Prodigal Wife is not a Guiness fan either.

3 comments:

Expat mum said...

Delia Smith has just come out with a collection of recipes from past decades. She has a delicious gourmet B&S which my mum scanned and sent me. I think there are a lot more on her web site too! Dee-lish!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Oooh, slobber ;)
If only I had cabbage and spud left overs, they;ve all been scoffed !
I'll give it a whirl next time....

Richard said...

Bubble and Squeak! Your Bubble and Squeak looks fantastic. One of life's real pleasures!