“Half memoir, half travel, A Yank Back to England...is an absolutely wonderful book, not only about going home again but also about love and family and tradition and the passage of the years.”
—Michael Dirda, Pulitzer Prize-winning literary critic (Washington
Post)
To see the entire quote, click here.

Monday, December 28, 2009

In Winnie's studio

Deep in the garden, we found Sir Winston’s art studio. Venturing inside, we found a compact room, rather like a small cottage without a bedroom level, with paintings lining the walls. Despite the obvious contrivance of a cigar left in an ashtray and a paint-stained smock across a chair, there was one very authentic touch beside the easel: stacks and stacks of Havana cigar boxes filled with tubes of paint. Churchill’s paintings were bold, brash, energetic, exuberant South of France landscapes. To me, they all seemed to be tantalizing self-portraits, yet only partly revealing.

3 comments:

Duchess of Tea said...

Wishing you and yours good health, much happiness and vast fortune in the new year.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

A Brit in Tennessee said...

How intriquing...
I can picture the setting in my mind's eye.
Wishing you a Happy New Year, hope it is filled with much love, happiness and good health.
I've enjoyed our visits back and forth over the year, I hope to have more of the same in 2010 !
Cheers,
Jo

Anonymous said...

That took me back to my school days. We always used cigar boxes to store our paints in. I must find some more for that authentic touch