“Half memoir, half travel, A Yank Back to England...is an absolutely wonderful book, not only about going home again but also about love and family and tradition and the passage of the years.”
—Michael Dirda, Pulitzer Prize-winning literary critic (Washington
Post)
To see the entire quote, click here.

Friday, August 21, 2009

England's "most beautiful garden"

One of the things I've come to love about England is its fabulous gardens. So I was delighted when the lovely Teresa Inside the Mind of a MiniMadWoman sent on this wonderfully inviting photo of Hidcote Manor in Gloucestershire. Hidcote Gardens are considered by many afficionados to be the most beautiful in England—a definite must-see! (The manor looks pretty nice too!)

If you have a great photo of England, share! Email us and we’ll link back to you if we post it. (72 dpi please!)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Denis and Francis,

I'm honored that you thought my photo was good enough to post on your blog! Thank you!

My husband and I visited many gardens (including Sissinghurst) while we were in England in 2003. I have to say that Hidcote was my favorite . . . it is an intimate (although large) garden like one would have in one's own back yard.

We hope to get back to England again in a few year's time and again we'll be visiting beautiful English gardens.

Blessings,
Teresa

parTea lady said...

That garden looks so inviting. I'd love to walk through the gate and explore.

Rebecca A Emrich said...

Hello,
I hope you don't mind but I do have a wee bit of a pleasing surprise for you over at my writing blog... feel free to check it out!

Linens and Royals said...

What can I say??? wish i was there and will put the garden on my must see list for my next trip.

JamaGenie said...

This is my idea of the perfect English garden. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Michelloui said...

We have a garden that is in desperate need of some Plan. We visit many gardens, we trawl through books, we watch the tv shows. We are both creative people who enjoy gardening and yet we are completely in a creative block about our garden. We haven't been to Hidcote Manor and I have just decided we shall. The comment MiniMadWoman said about it being the kind of garden one would want in one's own back yard sold me! Lovely photo.

The Prodigal Tourist said...

So pleased you all liked this one! We have created an English garden out here in Maryland--well, Prodigal Wife designed it, I just dig where she says and then enjoy!

Maggie said...

Oh it is beautiful!!!!!! My goal is when I finally settle down somewhere is to plant an authentic English garden.