“Half memoir, half travel, A Yank Back to England...is an absolutely wonderful book, not only about going home again but also about love and family and tradition and the passage of the years.”
—Michael Dirda, Pulitzer Prize-winning literary critic (Washington
Post)
To see the entire quote, click here.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Driving into London

The road became dense with cars, trucks, buses, vans, and motorized scooters that zigzagged around the massed traffic like demented pilot fish that had lost their way. Apart from intermittent stop signs, everything seemed to be speeding up. Everything, that is, except my reactions. I was feeling tired. Grimy. Horrid. And dreading where I was going. What had I been thinking? Why, oh why, was I planning to dwell in the damp valleys of East Anglia and not, say, in the sun-drenched hill towns of Tuscany? Oh, Christ. I was heading for ten days of gloom and doom.

3 comments:

Ed Ngai said...

why oh why would you torment yourself by DRIVING into London...
I live about an hour from london and even I get scared of the traffic there!

Ed Ngai said...

the best place to go for a nice calm town with beautiful scenery I reccomend Lincoln. Its far away but I fell in love with that place once I saw it!

Chiara said...

Wow, tricky thing to do!